stargirl

Wanderlust

Books and traveling? Life is good. ♥

If I Stay

If I Stay - Gayle Forman
Sometimes you make choices in life and sometimes choices make you.

I'm so relieved that I didn't read this book just because it was a popular hype. In fact, I just randomly borrowed the book when I was meaning to read Just One Day and it wasn't available.

It was the start of a perfect day. Mia and her family went off to visit friends and family. Little did they know that an accident will take place - one that will leave a huge crater on those around them. Nonetheless, Mis being the sole survivor gets to decide for herself - to leave or to stay?

I'm usually not into cheesy literature stuff, but there is something about this book that kept me going. One of the reasons would be the love I have for the characters. It wasn't Mia; it was the people in her life. I love the back stories on her parents, grandparents, best friend, boyfriend all interwoven to create a unique symphony. It was also how music was such a huge part of this project. I can even picture them, on that accidental celebration of labor day, sitting around the campfire and playing music to their heart's content. I profess that I lack knowledge when it comes to the musical selection for this book, but that was okay.

The only thing which was off for me was the last part - and that was what most readers seem to compare to Lovely Bones. C'mon Mia, there are a lot of others reasons for you choosing to stay. It's not just about Adam. It must be the hormones, but hey I expected her to be deeper than that.

Overall, this is a feel good book. ;)