stargirl

Wanderlust

Books and traveling? Life is good. ♥

The Ocean at the End of the Lane

The Ocean at the End of the Lane: A Novel - Neil Gaiman This is my first shot at Neil Gaiman's writing. Obviously I'm not familiar with his style, but this book is personal because we can interpret into hundreds of ways depending how we see it.

The past always seem so distant and unreal. On the protagonist's case, the past was twisted so as to be remembered differently - his childhood filled with a surreal mix of facts and fantasy. Throughout the book, we were presented on the supposedly "real" turn of events, although it doesn't look very real. It was infused with wonder, strange creatures, nightmares and shadows, too much for a little boy to take. But the best part lies in how he was able to go through all of it - a friend.

I enjoyed the relationship of the man and Lettie as portrayed in the book. He, being a boy of 7, became a little brother dependent on Lettie, who kept her promise till the very end. Friendship lasts! That is the message I got from this book. It is okay to be afraid. It is okay to be uncertain. In the end, our true friends would be there to look out for our best interests.

Hauntingly beautiful but did not really made a mark in me.