stargirl

Wanderlust

Books and traveling? Life is good. ♥

The Golem and the Jinni: A Novel

The Golem and the Jinni - Helene Wecker My actual rating is 4.5

My first thought when I saw this book: What a pretty book cover! And the sides were printed blue. Interesting! And then I saw the reviews. Majority of the people said they liked this book so I decided to give it a try.

It's hard for me to truly describe what I feel for this book. I needed to warm up to be truly immersed in the storyline. Yes, it was easy to understand on the surface but there were underlying themes waiting to be grasped. The thing I truly loved about the plot is its unpredictability. It beckons the reader to continue to bury oneself in the story to be able to find out what will happen. Even though I was already halfway in the book, I was uncertain on the direction the author is taking me into! Helene Wecker gave a wonderful development of the characters, providing us with their backstories, their current situation, until we figure out the role they play in the Golem and the Jinni's life. I liked that. It was like drinking a smoothie with all the ingredients perfectly complementing each other.

The thing that I think would throw people of is the severity of the story. It wasn't made to humor the reader. It was more of informing, of making aware, of making one think. It probes on the issues of religion, atheism, desires and fears. Also, there is the issue with names. It was hard for me to remember the names because I didn't even know how they were pronounced.

Other than that, I really loved it. I give praise to the author for a unique story that has not been seen in a while. :)