stargirl

Wanderlust

Books and traveling? Life is good. ♥

The Enemy

The Enemy - Charlie Higson I haven't read a lot of zombie books, but I find this one interesting. Charlie Higson used the unique concept of kids being survivors and the grown-ups as contractors of the disease. Nobody knew where and how it started. But one thing is for sure - they need to survive. And to survive, they needed each other.

One of the biggest things I liked is how realistic it can be. Not that zombies are real, but if it were, the scenario would probably be like what was depicted in the book. Deaths, hunger, fatigue, fear - these join the enemy forces. Throughout the book, there were major deaths. In most plots, main characters somehow miraculously survive because they are needed in the story. Here, a lot of them ended up being beaten protecting others or defeated in skirmishes. That's what made things believable.

A crucial player in the book is the concept of loyalty. When we talk of surviving, we somehow put ourselves above all others. When the tables are turned, do we remain loyal or do we sway to the stronger faction? Their trust in each other was tested when they reached Buckingham palace, a supposedly place of safety. As it turned out, they were to be used as pawns to serve David's purpose. I for sure thought that it would be a lost cause. It ended up with the kids being smarter than I thought, in fact too smart, and set a plot to overturn the tyrant.

A lot of questions remained unanswered and hopefully the next installment would shed some light on them. It wasn't too gory as I thought it would be. Since we have different levels of tolerance though, I would still advise that readers should see for themselves if they can handle it.

Enjoyable read and looking forward to reading the next one!